Who Are Millennials?
Born between the early 1980s and the mid-1990s, Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the first generation to grow up with the Internet, and they now comprise a sizable percentage of the global consumer market.
Growing up during a time of rapid technological advancements, Millennials have embraced digital tools and platforms, making them the first generation to fully integrate technology into their daily lives. They’re a highly educated, value-centric generation with a strong sense of individuality and big opinions.
To understand what makes Millennials tick, let's take a deeper look at their typical characteristics, especially pertaining to digital communication, preferences, and their response to advertising:
- They’re tech-savvy: Millennials are the masters of all things digital. They've grown up surrounded by technology and are incredibly comfortable navigating the online world.
- They’re social-media obsessed: You'll rarely find a Millennial without a social media account. They love to stay connected and engaged with their friends, family, and the world around them through platforms like Snapchat and other major social media networks.
- They’re authenticity seekers: Millennials value authenticity above all else. They appreciate brands that are genuine, transparent, and honest. They can easily spot inauthenticity, so being real and staying true to your brand is key.
- They’re personalization enthusiasts: These people love experiences that feel tailored to their individual needs and preferences. They appreciate personalized recommendations, product suggestions, and content that speaks directly to them.
- They’re seekers of and responders to user-generated content (UGC): Millennials love to participate in and to be part of the content creation process. They’re very much into creating and sharing their own content: reviews, videos, social media posts, and the like. So encouraging user-generated content can foster a sense of community and engagement.
- They have a mobile-first mentality: Millennials are always on the go, and their smartphones are their constant companions. They rely heavily on mobile devices for browsing the internet, social media, shopping, and everything in between. Hint: Optimize your digital presence for mobile if you want to reach them effectively.
- They’re ad-resistant: Traditional, interruptive ads don't resonate with Millennials. They've developed a knack for ad avoidance. That being said, they do engage with ads that are seamlessly integrated into their online experience and provide value or entertainment — or, better yet, both.
- They’re influenced by peers and influencers: Millennials heavily rely on recommendations from people they know and/or follow. They trust the opinions and experiences of people they admire, making influencer marketing a powerful strategy to capture their attention.
- They’re socially conscious: Millennials are passionate about social causes and sustainability. They appreciate and tend to support brands that take a stand and demonstrate a commitment to making a positive impact on society and the environment.
- They value research: Millennials are avid researchers. Before making a purchase, they take the time to extensively research products, read reviews, and compare prices to help them make informed decisions and ensure they're getting the best value for their money.
90% of Millennials choose brands they believe are authentic; 43% prioritize authenticity of a brand over content.¹