February 19, 2020
How to drive online sales with Snapchat Ads
Start promoting your e-commerce business to a highly engaged audience on Snapchat by following these steps.
- Set up the Snap Pixel.
- Choose a campaign objective and bid towards the events that matter most to your business, such as website conversions.
- Create ads that showcase the products you sell online.
- Measure your campaign’s success with the metrics that impact your bottom-line.
Set up the Snap Pixel in order to:
Measure conversions across devices
The Snap Pixel is a piece of code for your website that allows you to measure the cross-device impact of your campaigns and see how many Snapchatters take action on your site after seeing your ad. With the Snap Pixel, you will be able to track the specific actions people are taking on your website, such as adding an item to their cart or purchasing a product.
As you set up your Snap Pixel, consider configuring custom event parameters. The following custom event parameters are required for accurate ROAS (return on ad spend) reporting: Currency, Price, and Transaction ID.
Strategically bid for conversions
Once you implement the Snap Pixel, you will be able to measure conversion events, such as online product sales that occur on your website, and optimize towards some of those events once the minimum threshold for each unique event is reached.
Re-engage users that have already interacted with your website
With the Snap Pixel, you will be able to access ‘Pixel Custom Audiences’ which allow you to re-engage users that have already completed a valuable action on your website. These segments are developed based on the specific actions people are taking on your website, such as visiting a product page, adding an item to a cart, or purchasing a product. Once a minimum of 1000 Snapchatters are matched, an auto-generated audience will appear in the ‘Audiences’ section of Ads Manager. You can either target or exclude this audience in future campaigns, as well as create ‘Lookalike’ segments to expand your reach.
Expand your reach
With the Snap Pixel, you’ll also be able to create ‘Lookalike Audiences’ which consist of Snapchatters with similar characteristics to your existing customers.
Choose a campaign objective and bid towards the events that matter most to your business, such as website conversions.
To start advertising, select the ‘Advanced Create’ workflow in Snapchat Ads. To select the ‘Advanced Create’ workflow, go up to the global navigation on the top left of the screen, click on 'Create Ads' and then select ‘Advanced Create.’ Advanced Create allows you to take full control over your ads. With this workflow, you will be able to optimize your ad campaigns towards all available advertising objectives (including online product sales), utilize different types of ad formats, and enable your Snap Pixel.
Next, select your campaign objective. Choose from the following types of objectives:
Once you’ve completed your initial campaign setup, you can specify the settings for your campaign’s first ‘Ad Set.’ An Ad Set is a group of ads within your campaign that has specific audience criteria, budget, goal, and flight time. In the ‘Delivery’ section, choose the goal you would like to bid towards and select your bid strategy. With goal based bidding, your campaign is optimized according to your bid strategy, meaning that we will serve your ad to users who are more inclined to take that specific action that you chose. All advertisers on Snapchat are billed on a CPM (cost per thousand impressions) basis, regardless of bid goal. How much you spend on the campaign will depend on a few factors including your bid goal, bid amount, campaign performance, and budget.
Bid goals will be listed in the dropdown based on the objective you selected in the first step. For example, if you selected the ‘Website Conversions’ objective when you created your campaign, then the following goals will be available for you to bid towards:
- Swipe Up: This bid type optimizes towards Snapchatters who are most likely to swipe up on your ad, at a specified cost per swipe.
- Pixel Purchase: This bid type optimizes towards Snapchatters who are most likely to complete a purchase on your website, at a specified cost per purchase.*
- Pixel Add to Cart: This bid type optimizes towards Snapchatters who are most likely to add an item to their cart on your website, at a specified cost per add to cart.*
- Pixel Sign Up: This bid type optimizes towards Snapchatters who are most likely to complete a sign up on your website, at a specified cost per sign up.*
- Pixel Page View: This bid type optimizes towards Snapchatters who are most likely to browse pages on your website, at a specified cost per page view.
*Please Note: In order to get access to the pixel goal based bid types, you must be driving at least 50+ attributed conversions of each type over a rolling 7-day period.
In order to bid towards the pixel conversion events listed above, such as online purchases, you’ll need to implement the Snap Pixel (Step 1).
After you have identified a goal, the following bid strategies are available for you to choose from:
- Target Cost: this bidding strategy tells Snapchat to keep your average CPA (cost per action) at or below the amount set by the ad set end date. To keep your average CPA at or below the amount you specify, you can select the ‘Target Cost’ bidding strategy.
- Max Bid: this bidding strategy tells Snapchat the maximum amount to bid for you while trying to achieve the most efficient CPA possible. To set the maximum amount you are willing to pay per selected goal, you can select the ‘Max Bid’ bidding strategy.
- Auto Bid: this bidding strategy allows Snapchat to set the bid on your behalf to get the most goal actions given your budget and target audience. If you are unsure of what your CPA goal is, you can test out the ‘Auto-Bid’ bidding strategy which will automatically set bids that are optimized for your campaign goals while staying within your budget.
Create ads that showcase the products you sell online.
After you complete the settings for your ad set, you can create and upload your first ad. Which ad formats are right for your e-commerce business? Ad formats that showcase the products, services, or experiences you sell, such as Single Image or Video Ads, Collection Ads, and Story Ads are perfect for driving online sales. If you have a product catalog (i.e. product feed), you can upload it to Ads Manager to automate the creation of ads for Snapchat. This ‘library’ of assets can be used to automatically create a number of product ads: Single Image or Video Ads, Collection Ads, and Story Ads.
Here are the types of product ads available to choose from:
Measure your campaign’s success with the metrics that impact your bottom-line.
After you launch your first campaign, you can measure its performance in Ads Manager. Within the default ‘Manage Ads’ view of Ads Manager, you can view campaign metrics by custom date ranges at the campaign level, ad set level, or ad level. At the top of the screen, you’ll be able to see the default visualizations that show high level metrics for your campaigns. You can customize which metrics you’d like to view in the ‘Manage Ads’ table by clicking on the ‘Customize Columns’ icon. To find the definitions for the different metrics you can see in Ads Manager, view the Snapchat Ads metrics glossary.
The 'Manage Ads' view also gives you the ability to create saved views, utilize shared views, and test filtering and sorting. Once you have organized your ‘Manage Table’ the way you’d like, you can save that particular view. Shared views are a convenient way to share a saved view with a member of your ad account. To search for and implement different filter options, click the ‘Search’ icon.
This blog outlines a starting point for e-commerce businesses interested in getting started with Snapchat Ads. Start finding success on Snapchat Ads today!
Begin your success story today!
Create your first ad in less than five minutes, with just a photo and a few clicks. Reach an engaged audience that lives only on Snapchat, and drive results to build and scale your business.