September 20, 2021
10 Ways to Increase E-Commerce Sales This Holiday Season
10 Ways to Increase E-Commerce Sales This Holiday Season
As the holiday season approaches, Snapchatters around the world are looking forward to a time of traditions, celebrations, building wishlists, and of course - the festive shopping season. Snapchat is a unique and special place during the holidays. Our community uses Snapchat to connect, get inspired, share gift ideas, and shop for the perfect gift - 80% of Snapchatters use Snapchat to plan their holiday gifting.1
Year over year, businesses and brands look at the holiday season as a huge opportunity to capitalize on the massive spending period and make lasting impressions with current and new customers.
In this blog, we’ll cover 10 ways to increase e-Commerce sales on Snapchat during the holiday shopping season - and why e-Commerce businesses of all sizes should be incorporating Snapchat into their holiday marketing strategies.
1. Leverage the Buying Power of Millenials & Gen Z
Millennials represent the largest generation in US history, and are known for their impulsive spending habits, especially when compared to generations that have preceded them. Gen Z also plays a significant role during the holiday season with a huge impact on household spend.
Together, millennials and Gen Z have over $4 trillion in direct global spending power.2 This presents a compelling business opportunity for all businesses, particularly when considering where to spend ad dollars this holiday season. Additionally, Snapchatters spend 1.6x more than the average shopper across all Q4 shopping moments.3
Snapchat reaches 75% of millennials and Gen Z.4 That said, there's no better place to engage with millennials and Gen Z than Snapchat. Not only are Snapchatters active during the holidays capturing memories, connecting with friends and having fun with the Snapchat camera, they’re also ready to spend - we saw an +119% increase in total online purchases by Snapchatters in November and December of 2020 compared to the year prior.5 Leveraging this highly engaged audience will be the key to driving the most e-Commerce sales this holiday season.
2. Start Advertising Early, Build Momentum, & Convert
Snapchatters experience many shopping moments during the holidays. Here’s an overview on how to develop a holiday strategy to reach the Snapchatters throughout the season:
- September - October: Start Advertising Early: Start smart by starting early. Most Snapchatters start planning gift purchases and creating wishlists 2-3 months before Christmas.6 Launch holiday ads in October to stay top of mind with shoppers who are browsing for gifts and building wishlists.
- November: Build Momentum and Optimize: Snapchatters’ purchases peak about a month before Christmas and 72% of Snapchatters plan to shop Black Friday and Cyber Monday.7 That’s a huge opportunity to showcase your best deals.
- December - January: Convert Engaged Shoppers: Focus on performance to close out the shopping season. Feature last-minute sales and drive urgency by listing your shipping cut-off dates. Use clear and bold calls to action to help Snapchatters convert.
3. Showcase Your Products & Holiday Sales
Using full screen images/video and audio in your ads can inspire, educate and move shoppers to buy. Place your products front and center in your creative to drive desire, and consider using a simple template to quickly repurpose for your Holiday Snapchat Ads.
Use strong, clear and compelling language within your Snapchat Ads to drive urgency with Snapchatters. Strong offer messaging (from the beginning of the ad) focused on your doorbuster deals is key to driving sales. Additionally, leverage the phrases, traditions, emotions, days and moments that matter in your ads to help drive purchase intent.
Lastly, be sure to link directly to your product or category page. Don’t let shoppers drop off because they can’t find your product - deep link into the exact product page or category page that you're promoting.
Learn more about how to boost ad engagement by checking out this blog, Snapchat Ads Best Practices: 10 Tips to Help Increase Ad Engagement.
4. Use Ad Formats Geared Towards Your Goals
Snapchat Ads are for every business, big or small. Use Snapchat’s full-screen, immersive ads to engage your audience in an impactful way - we’ve seen that full-screen vertical ads on Snapchat drove more than 2x the lift in awareness than other platforms tested.8 Engage with Snapchatters in a way that’s conversation, non-intrusive, and feels organic to the platform.
When running e-Commerce Holiday campaigns on Snapchat, consider using some of the below Ad Formats that give Snapchatters a look into the products you’re selling and create a cohesive shopping experience:
- Single Image or Video Ads: A Single Image or Video Ad is a full screen ad that can be used for many objectives. Simply add an attachment and enable Snapchatters to swipe up and take action.
- Collection Ads: A Collection Ad features four tappable tiles to showcase multiple products, giving Snapchatters a frictionless way to browse and buy.
- Dynamic Product Ads: Create personalized ads at scale using your product catalog. With Dynamic Ads, advertisers on Snapchat can now automate ad personalization on the platform, unlocking new ways to scale up campaigns and drive online conversions easily.
- Story Ads: Story Ads are branded tiles that live in Snapchat’s Discover section. Generate excitement around your brand or latest collection with a series of 3-20 single image or video ads.
5. Optimize Your Online Shop for a Seamless Mobile Experience
More and more customers are browsing, creating wishlists, and finding inspiration for their holiday gifts through their phones. In fact, 67% of all e-Commerce sales this year will come from mobile.9
On Snapchat, Snapchatters use the app to browse, shop, and share holiday joy. Snapchatters are the savviest mobile consumers out there, shopping online 20% more than other consumers.10 Mobile transactions are going to dominate online shopping this holiday season, and optimized shopping experiences are the key to driving more e-Commerce sales. Again, the importance of a seamless mobile shopping experience can only increase from here on out.
6. Track Online Actions & Behaviors With the Snap Pixel
Tracking actions taken on your website is important for many reasons - you can understand where shoppers are clicking, where they’re dropping off, and build retargeting campaigns to reconnect with them and convert. When running Snapchat e-Commerce campaigns to drive online sales, it’s imperative to implement the Snap Pixel so you can track online events and build an audience of Snapchatters to re-engage and convert into purchasers and repeat customers.
More details on the Snap Pixel can be found on this blog, The Snap Pixel: How It Works and How to Install It.
7. Optimize Your Campaigns With Goal-Based Bidding
Goal-Based Bidding is an option you can enable during campaign setup that allows you to optimize towards a specific action you want a Snapchatter to take, such as viewing a page, adding to cart, or completing a purchase.
You also have the option to utilize Snapchat’s Automated Bidding Strategies:
- With Auto-Bidding, Snapchat will set your bid amount to automatically optimize towards conversions.
- With Target Cost, Snapchat will optimize towards your target CPA goals.
- With Minimum ROAS, Snapchat will optimize towards your target ROAS goals.
8. Measure Results to Understand What’s Resonating With Your Audience
Planning and launching holiday advertising campaigns on any platform is the foundation of any strong holiday marketing strategy - what comes after is crucial to understanding how your investment is producing results for your business, and how you can adjust and scale up to maximize your return on investment.
Within Ads Manager, a number of features and tools exist to help optimize your ads and achieve your holiday advertising goals:
- Build custom reports to see real-time insights into your campaign’s performance on a regular basis.
- Use Campaign Lab to easily set up and act on campaign experiments. Campaign lab includes actions, insights, and learning agendas to help you understand where to start your tests, form hypotheses, identify what’s working, and take action to inform your campaign strategy.
- Tap into Audience Insights to learn about your targeted audience, create hyper-relevant ad creative, and build out audience segments specific to your products.
Learn more about how to analyze your Snapchat Ads campaign performance by checking out this blog, How to Analyze Your Snapchat Ads Campaign Performance.
9. Expand Your Targeting to Maximize Your Reach
Leveraging Snapchat’s full targeting capabilities gives you the ability to connect with Snapchatters based on their online and real world interests and behaviors, target Snapchatters by location, whether that’s multi-country, metros or a point radius around a specific address, and reach Snapchatters by certain demographics such as age, gender, language, device type and more.
Additionally, you can layer existing customer data with behavior seen on our platform to fully leverage the power of the Snapchat audience. When running holiday campaigns with the goal of driving online sales, consider using some of the below advanced targeting options to help reach your goals and maximize your return on investment:
- Reach previous customers with Snap Audience Match: Target customers using a customer list of emails, phone numbers or device IDs - reach Snapchatters who have interacted with your brand or business in the past using Snap Audience Match.
- Reach customers similar to existing customers with Lookalike Audiences: Expand your reach by finding Snapchat users similar to your existing customers. Lookalike Audiences identifies Snapchat users that are similar to your existing customer base on Snapchat.
- Target Snapchatters who have visited your website using Pixel Custom Audiences: Target a group of high-intent Snapchatters who have engaged with your brand’s website with a flexible lookback window with Pixel Custom Audiences.
- Reach a highly targeted group with third-party custom audiences: Reach Snapchatters based on their past buying patterns or viewing behaviors. Tap into an expansive data marketplace to develop a segment for an individual campaign, objective, product, or service. Currently available in the U.S. only.
For more details on Snapchat’s targeting capabilities, check out this blog, Snapchat Ads Targeting Options: Reach Your Target Audience on Snapchat.
10. Retarget Engaged & Previous Customers to Drive More Sales
Retargeting is one of the greatest ways to optimize your holiday advertising campaigns - retargeting helps move potential customers from awareness, to consideration, and finally into the purchase phase of the buying journey.
On Snapchat, you can retarget users using a number of different methods:
- Retarget previous or interested customers: Reach customers who have interacted with your brand or business in the past using Snap Audience Match. Simply upload a customer list of emails, phone numbers or unique identifiers to create a Snap Audience Match audience and run ads.
- Retarget Snapchatters who engaged with your campaigns on Snapchat: With Ad Engagement Audiences, you can retarget Snapchatters who have engaged with your Snapchat Ads in the past. Retarget Snapchatters who have swiped up on a Single Image or Video Ad, viewed a full Video Ad, opened a Story Ad, shared / saved a Lens or Filter, or were served a paid impression.
- Retarget those who have browsed your website using the Snap Pixel: The Snap Pixel is a piece of code that helps businesses measure the cross-device impact of their campaigns on Snapchat. The Snap Pixel gives you insight into how many Snapchatters take action on your website after seeing your ad on Snapchat. Implementing the Snap Pixel unlocks Pixel Custom Audiences, which allows you to retarget Snapchatters who have visited your website and boost online conversions.
- Personalize your retargeting ads with Dynamic Ads: By leveraging catalogs, the Snap Pixel, or your Mobile Measurement Partner, Dynamic Ads allows all businesses to create an engaging, personalized shopping experience on Snapchat. Dynamic Ads help you reach potential customers by showing Snapchatters personalized ads, built directly from your product catalog. These ads are tailored to them based on their engagement with your site or app.
Learn more about retargeting on Snapchat and how to reconnect with your audience by reading this blog, How to Create a Retargeting Campaign on Snapchat.
Snapchat offers brands an opportunity to advertise products and holiday promotions to a unique audience with full-screen, shoppable ads. Increase e-Commerce sales this holiday season by launching ads on Snapchat and leveraging the engaged,
The simplest way to create your first advertising e-Commerce holiday campaign on Snapchat is through Instant Create, Snapchat’s self-serve buying flow that allows you to create a single Snapchat Ad in minutes. If you’re looking to build more complex holiday e-Commerce campaigns, Snapchat also offers Advanced Create, which allows you to create multiple Ad Sets, leveraging Snapchat’s full-suite of Ad Formats with more advanced targeting capabilities.
Snapchat can help your small, medium or large business grow.
Snapchat can help your small, medium or large business grow.
12020 Alter Agents study commissioned by Snap Inc. QG7a: “Which of the following do you do on Snapchat related to gifting?” Base: Snapchatters (n=803)
22021 Global Cassandra Study commissioned by Snap Inc. | Base: Those with a monthly income N=12,710 respondents. Cumulative total of average by market. Spending power for the Snapchat Generation was calculated as follows: We obtained the average monthly income for each respondent. The sum of any expenses related to rent or mortgage, debt, insurance, medical expenses/healthcare, spending money given to others, and utilities was subtracted from this average monthly income. We then multiplied each respondent’s average monthly discretionary spending by 12 to obtain their average yearly discretionary spending and averaged these results within each country across the Snapchat Generation.
32021 Deloitte Holiday Research Commissioned by Snap Inc. Q: “And how much have you spent or do you anticipate spending in each of the following categories this holiday season?“
4Data from Snap Ads Manager as of April 19, 2020. Percentages calculated by dividing addressable reach by relevant census figures in the US. Millennials and Gen Z are defined as between 13 and 34 years of age. Addressable reach, location, and age data are subject to limitations. See https://businesshelp.snapchat.com/en-US/a/audience-size-tool for details.
5Snap Inc. internal data, November–December 2019 average vs. November–December 2020 average.
62020 Alter Agents study commissioned by Snap Inc. Base: Snapchatters (n=670). 1 G2: “When do you typically start planning or getting ideas for gifts for these holidays?”
72020 Alter Agents study commissioned by Snap Inc. Base: Snapchatters (n=670). 2 QG5: “When do you typically start shopping (e.g., thinking about, researching, and making your purchase) for gifts for these holidays?”
8Magna, IPG Media Lab and Snap Inc., “Does every second count?”; 2020.
9eMarketer, “Retail MCommerce Sales Worldwide,” December 2020.
10Calculated by comparing 2021 Deloitte Holiday Research Commissioned by Snap Inc. Base = Snapchatters (N=918), Non-Snapchatters (N=252) Q: “Where have you bought/plan to buy [CATEGORY] products this holiday season?” to eMarketer “Roundup: Path to Purchase Beyond the Retail Vertical.”
English (United States)