February 21, 2020
How to drive app installs and conversions with Snapchat Ads
Start promoting your app to a highly engaged audience on Snapchat by following these steps.
- Choose a campaign objective and bid towards the events that matter most to your business, such as app installs.
- Create ads that drive Snapchatters to download or use your app.
- Track app installs and post-install events directly in Ads Manager as long as you are integrated with one of our approved mobile measurement partners.
Choose a campaign objective and bid towards the events that matter most to your business, such as app installs.
When creating a campaign in Ads Manager, you have the option to choose between two workflows: ‘Instant Create’ or ‘Advanced Create:’
With ‘Instant Create,’ you can create a single ad in minutes to drive: app installs, app visits, or website visits. Choose Instant Create if you prefer a streamlined ad creation flow that leverages our most popular templates and simplified ad detail options. However, Instant Create supports limited objectives and bid goals. To get started with Instant Create, check out this blog post, How to advertise on Snapchat with Instant Create.
To take full control over your ads, use ‘Advanced Create.’ The Advanced Create workflow lets you create multiple ad sets with more advanced targeting and bid types. With this workflow, you will be able to choose from all available advertising objectives and bid goals, including the option to optimize towards Snapchatters who are most likely to install your app.
In this blog post, we will move forward with the ‘Advanced Create’ workflow. To select the ‘Advanced Create’ workflow, go up to the global navigation on the top left of the screen, click on 'Create Ads' and then select ‘Advanced Create.’
Next, you will be prompted to select your campaign objective. You may choose from the following, however there are two app specific campaign objectives available for you to choose from under the ‘Consideration’ section:
- Choose ‘App Installs’ to send Snapchatters to the app store to download your app.
- Choose ‘Drive Traffic To App’ to send Snapchatters to your app or a third-party app.
Once you’ve selected your objective and completed your initial campaign setup, you can specify the settings for your campaign’s first ‘Ad Set.’ An Ad Set is a group of ads within your campaign that has specific audience details, budget, goal, and flight time. In the ‘Delivery’ section, choose the goal you would like to bid towards and select your bid strategy. With goal based bidding, your campaign is optimized according to your bid strategy, meaning that we will serve your ad to users who are more inclined to take that specific action that you chose. All advertisers on Snapchat are billed on a CPM (cost per thousand impressions) basis, regardless of bid goal. How much you spend on the campaign will depend on a few factors including your bid goal, bid amount, campaign performance, and budget.
Bid goals will be listed in the dropdown based on the objective you selected in the first step. For example, if you selected the ‘App Installs’ objective when you created your campaign, then the following goals will be available for you to bid towards:
- Install: This bid type optimizes towards Snapchatters who are most likely to install your app, at a specified cost per install.
- Impressions: This bid type will deliver as many ads as possible to Snapchatters, based on a specified CPM (cost per thousand impressions).
- Swipe Up: This bid type optimizes towards Snapchatters who are most likely to swipe up on your ad, at a specified cost per swipe.
- App Sign Up: This bid type is for mobile app advertisers seeking high-intent installs. It's a hybrid optimization type that delivers impressions to users who are most likely to download your app but also sign up after they install.*
- App Add to Cart: This bid type is for mobile app advertisers seeking high-intent installs. It's a hybrid optimization type that delivers impressions to users who are most likely to download your app but also add an item to their cart after they install.*
- App Purchase: This bid type is for mobile app advertisers seeking high-intent installs. It's a hybrid optimization type that delivers impressions to users who are most likely to download your app but also make a purchase after they install.*
*Please Note: In order to get access to the post app install goal based bid types, you must be driving at least 50+ attributed conversions of each type over a rolling 7-day period.
After you have identified a goal, the following bid strategies are available for you to choose from:
- Target Cost: this bidding strategy tells Snapchat to keep your average CPA (cost per action) at or below the amount set by the ad set end date. To keep your average CPA at or below the amount you specify, you can select the ‘Target Cost’ bidding strategy.
- Max Bid: this bidding strategy tells Snapchat the maximum amount to bid for you while trying to achieve the most efficient CPA possible. To set the maximum amount you are willing to pay per selected goal, you can select the ‘Max Bid’ bidding strategy.
- Auto Bid: this bidding strategy allows Snapchat to set the bid on your behalf to get the most goal actions given your budget and target audience. If you are unsure of what your CPA goal is, you can test out the ‘Auto-Bid’ bidding strategy which will automatically set bids that are optimized for your campaign goals while staying within your budget.
Create ads that drive Snapchatters to download or use your app.
After you complete the settings for your campaign and ad set, you’ll be prompted to create or upload your first ad. Create Snapchat ads that support app install attachments and deep link attachments in order to drive users to download or use your app. The Snap ad attachment types are explained below:
App Install Attachments
App install attachments allow Snapchatters to swipe up and download the advertised app.
Deep Link Attachments
Deep link attachments can help to re-engage existing users of your app by directing users to a specific place in your app. When a user who already has your app swipes up on your ad, they are directed to the location in your app defined by your deep link. If you reach a user who does not have your app, they can be directed to the app store to install.
The following ad formats support app install attachments and deep link attachments:
Track app installs and post-install events directly in Ads Manager as long as you are integrated with one of our approved mobile measurement partners.
You can track app installs and post-install events generated by Snapchatters who downloaded your app as long as you are integrated with an approved mobile measurement partner. This will give you access to metrics on actions like who’s signed up for an offer, purchased an item, or completed a certain level in a game. You can even measure custom events specific to your app.
These metrics will be available through Ads Manager once you have completed the implementation provided by your mobile measurement partner. See the full list of approved mobile measurement partners.
You can customize the attribution windows for your campaign reports within Ads Manager. The default attribution window is: 28 day swipe and 1 day view. You can select from the options below:
Within the default ‘Manage Ads’ view of Ads Manager, you can view campaign metrics by custom date ranges at the campaign level, ad set level, or ad level. At the top of the screen, you’ll be able to see the default visualizations that show high level metrics for your campaigns. You can customize which metrics you’d like to view in the ‘Manage Ads’ table by clicking on the ‘Customize Columns’ icon. To find the definitions for the different metrics you can see in Ads Manager, view the Snapchat Ads metrics glossary.
This blog outlines a starting point for app advertisers interested in getting started with Snapchat Ads. Start finding success on Snapchat Ads today!
Begin your success story today!
Create your first ad in less than five minutes, with just a photo and a few clicks. Reach an engaged audience that lives only on Snapchat, and drive results to build and scale your business.